Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 9

Wow, I am sore. I woke up this morning and I felt good. I went for my walk and even extended it a little bit. I had pre-made my lunch (my salad and brown rice and chicken), so getting ready for work was easy. However, when I got to work, I realized how sore I was from lifting yesterday. I knew it would happen, and I thought that I did not do that much yesterday, but it was I was more sore than I thought I would be. Raising my arms above my head was painful (ok, so I just passed out for an hour, but I am back). It feels good though. I know this is just the beginning.

I feel like I should talk about my food. I talked about exercise, so food is the other major change I have made. I do not eat as much now, but I eat more often. I try to eat every 3 hours or so. In the morning, I have a banana before I walk. After I work out, I have either some slices of cantoulope or honey dew and grapes, but I am going to add to that a hard-boiled egg after I work out so I have some protein. I have a snack a few hours later, it is usually a piece of fruit and/or a yogurt. For lunch, I have my rice and chicken and salad. My brown rice is pretty plain right now, but I got a recipe for it yesterday that should make it tastier. I marinate my chicken in a low-fat/low-sodium garlic herb marinade that is pretty good. My salads this week have romaine lettuce, spinach, green and yellow peppers, cucumbers, mini-tomotoes and celery. I don't always use salad dressing, but sometimes I use a low-fat Caesar (as that is all I have right now). I have another snack a few hours later which is usually another piece of fruit or carrots. I realize this is not much food, but I don't feel that hungry. There are times that I get hungry between snacks, but when I decide I am done eating for the day, I do alright.

As for my walk, I said I extended it, but I also changed it a little. I used to walk up to one light (uphill), and then down two lights. This was not that long a walk, but now I walk up two lights and back down (it doesn't sound like much, but these are not normal blocks, they are about 1/2 a mile long). Also, I used to cross the street, but I stopped that. As you can see in the picture, on one side of the street, there are trees a few feet from the wall. The last time I walked between the trees and the shrubs, a spiderweb broke across my nose. This was enough to make me stay on one side of the street as the tree-shrub-spider web playground runs the whole length of the street. In fact, that same morning, there were a few place I had to walk around the tree because I saw a big web and even bigger spider between the tree and shrubs.
That is all for today. I am going to lift again tomorrow, so I am going to get some rest.


Lizzie said...

I just wanted to let you know that I was struggling yesterday with a big ole donut sitting in a cubicle where I am working as a temp - I love DONUTS; however, I have been on a diet since 1/2/08 with great success for a little short lady and I thought that I better get support and my brother-in-law, Mikey, told me to read your blog instead of eating the donut which I did. I was so inspired that I didn't eat it! Hip Hip Hoooray! Thank you very much for being that inspiration.

Shalini said...

Good job dude! You are doing awesome. I realized that I said I would quit drinking with you, but hadn't done it yet. Yesterday I finally quit. We do have beerfest on Saturday, but after that, I'm done. Keep it up. Try whole grain pasta if you get sick of the rice.

Anonymous said...

Woah. That whole encounter with the treeshrubspiderweb is all too familiar and frightening. I'm personally just glad that didn't ruin the whole walk for you, and no one saw you randomly freak out from what appears to be nothing. It's not cool.

And your food breakdown sounds excellent. I'm glad to hear you are eating so well and often, that is definitly key. You're doing great :D