Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 37

Today - 1.2, total - 36.4

Today was a good day. I am really starting to get back to normal after that brutal Sunday. I am really starting to like this whole weight loss thing. I also realize that this is so much more than a diet, it is a lifestyle change. I am making positive steps in my life such as going on 2 walks in a day to fight through what I was feeling. There are some other changes I have noticed in the past 5 weeks:

1. It's not so much that I am getting smaller, my clothes seems to be getting bigger at the same time. I am wearing pants 2 sizes smaller than the ones I wore to start the diet and I am on my last notch of my belt. I have not bought a new belt in a long time. I am also wearing clothes I have not worn in least 2 years.

2. I have more energy than before and when I am active, I don't sweat as much as before. I started out on short walks and I am now walking 4.5 miles a day.

3. Faced with the option of sitting around and being active, I am choosing to be be active. Twice now I have gone for 2 walks in a day and I have gone paddle boarding after my morning walk (even waking up at 5.30 AM on a Sunday).

4. When I do something more active, I recover a lot faster than before. What? You want an example. Of course I will share one with you. Shown below is the escalator in my store:

It might not look like much from the pic, but they are pretty tall and I work on the 1st floor. Today and yesterday, I worked the opening shift and when I got to work, I had to put my lunch in the fridge in the break room which is on the 3rd floor. Both days, instead of using the elevator, I walked up both sets of escalators (the escalators are not turned on in the morning before the store opens, thus, they are reduced to stairs) from the 1st to the 3rd floor (which is not that much, but is still like climbing 5-6 flights of stairs). Both times I climbed them, I was out of breath, but not for that long, maybe a couple minutes. Before the diet, I had to climb the escalators after work and I was struggling. I was so out of breath even after 5 minutes, that I was embarrassed.

Overall, this is going well and I am excited to continue and maintain.

1 comments:

Michael Friedl said...

Another great post, Sascha, and another huge step in your journey. I suspect one of the biggest things you will discover on this path is that you have so much more control over things in your life than you realized. That may just be the most empowering result of the whole thing. Good onya!